Florida Wind Mitigation Inspections May Reduce Insurance Costs
Notice of Premium Discounts for Hurricane Loss Mitigation for Florida Homeowners
Information contained in your windstorm policy explains the premium discounts, the discount amounts, and the requirement to have a Uniform Mitigation Verification Inspection performed by a qualified inspector.
In NW Florida, most homes qualify for an average windstorm premium discount of $250.00; the cost of the inspection is only $75.00 (for single family detached homes ).All residential structures including single family homes, condos, townhomes or apartments may qualify. The windstorm premium discounts are based on your home having one or more of the following wind resistant features.
QUALIFYING WIND RESISTANT FEATURES
- Roof Covering: If your roof has been replaced after 2002, it should have a roof covering that is tested to resist uplift from 110 MPH winds qualifying for a premium discount,
- Roof Deck Attachment (Intermediate): If your roof decking is OSB (chip board) or plywood and is nailed with 8d common nails (min 2-1/4 inches in length) that are at least 6 inches on center on the edges and 12 inches on center in the field this qualifies for an Intermediate Roof Decking Attachment premium discount,
- Roof Deck Attachment (Superior): If your home was built before 1960 it probably has tongue and groove or dimensional lumber decking that is ¾ inch or thicker with large nails holding the decking to your rafters, this qualifies for a Superior Roof Decking Attachment premium discount,
- Roof to Wall Connection: If your home was built after 1972 it probably has clips or straps (metal connectors) connecting your roof trusses or rafters to the top of the wall qualifying for a premium discount,
|LEFT: Typical Toe-Nailed Rafters on homes built before 1970 CENTER: Beginning in 1968 or later builders started using metal straps or clips installed on the trusses/rafters to increase resistance to uplift. To qualify the clips or straps need to have a minimum of 3 nails; this picture shows a clip with 4 nails. RIGHT: Homes built after 2002 will likely have a much heavier clip that is fastened on both side of the truss/rafter with 3-5 nails on each side.|
- Opening Protection: If you have added shutters or impact glass windows and ALL openings have some type of Large Missile Impact protection rating then this qualifies for a premium discount,
- Building Code Credit: If your home was permitted after March 1, 2002 then you already have most of the above features, the inspection will qualify the premium discounts,
Roof Geometry: If your home has a Hip roof the inspection will qualify the Roof Geometry for a premium discount,
|LEFT: This is a full Hip Roof and qualified for discounts. CENTER: This is a Dutch HIP roof and will not qualify for discounts due to the front porch and the two gables which are more than 10% of the total perimeter. RIGHT: This is a Gable roof and does not qualify for discounts.|
- SWR:Secondary Water Resistance is a self adhering membrane applied directly to the roof deck; this is most commonly used under tile and metal roof systems and qualifies for a premium discount.
|LEFT: Spray Foam Adhesive is one form of SWR that is applied inside the attic to the underside of the decking at all trusses and all plywood joints, this should not be confused with spray foam insulation products; insulation alone does not qualify. CENTER: By far the most cost effective type of SWR is applied during a re-roof, 6 inch strips of self adhering tape are applied to all plywood/OSB joints on te roof before the roofing underlayment is applied. RIGHT: Continuous self adhering cap sheets are typically used prior to application of tile or metal roofs. To qualify for the discount documentation of its existence is required through photos like the one above, or a roofing contractor’s affidavit.|
Discounts begin the date of the inspection regardless of your policy renewal date, so start saving now and call Disaster-Smart for a Wind Mitigation Inspection
Wind mitigation, safety, FORTIFIED, pensacola insurance inspections, four point inspection, underwriting, risk management, Baldwin county, habitat for humanity, mobile county, jackson county, pensacola wind mitigation inspections, wind mitigation inspection, inspections, pensacola inspections, pensacola insurance inspections, mark taylor, pensacola home inspection, home inspections, fort walton beach, gulf breeze, navarre, destin, niceville, valparaiso, milton, pace, panama city beach, rosemary beach, grayton beach, crestview, defuniak springs, state farm, chartis, pure, universal property and casualty insurance, farmers, bankers, southern oak, tower hill, nationwide, allstate, saw grass mutual, wilshire, coastal risk underwriters, orchid insurance, insureance discounts, lower your insurance costs, Alabama insurance discounts, Mississippi insurance discounts, florida insurance discounts
(888) WMIT PRO